Monday, June 17, 2013

before & after: reupholstered & painted chairs

A few months ago, I found these two chairs at Goodwill for $10 a piece.  I did not really need another set of chairs but could not resist getting them for that price and an opportunity to turn them into something better.


At first, I thought the chairs would just require some new fabric and some paint.  But after taking off three layers of different fabrics and discovering this very gross bottom layer, I realized that the foam in the slip seats was ancient and pretty much disintegrating.  


So I decided to ditch the slip seats and build new ones from scratch.  To make the slip seats, I simply traced the outline of the old slip seats onto some MDF from Home Depot.  Once the outline was complete, I used a jigsaw to cut out the pieces.


Before adding the foam, batting, and fabric, I drilled holes in the MDF where the screws needed to be to secure the slip seats to the base of the chairs.




Here is what the chairs look like all finished...



Even though making new slip seats was not part of the original plan, I was able to come in at under $50 of materials to update these chairs so am I definitely happy with the outcome.  

Here is a quick comparison...


Definitely an improvement!

3 comments: