Wednesday, April 23, 2014

ikea hack: tarva dresser

I have family visiting this summer which is just the push I need to finish our second guest room.  Since we do not use our guest rooms on a regular basis, my preference is to be more cost conscious when picking out the furniture.  When I saw this Tarva dresser at Ikea for $99, I thought it would be a fun project to work on at a reasonable price.

{Ikea Tarva Dresser}

At first I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to paint or stain the dresser.   In the end, I opted to stain it since I thought the stain would hold up better against knicks, etc.  I started out by staining each wood piece with three coats of Minwax Wood Finish in Dark Walnut (allowing the stain to dry completely in between each coat).  To make it easier, I decided to stain the pieces first before assembling the dresser.

{Minwax Wood Finish}

After I assembled the dresser, I added three coats of Polycrylic to protect the wood (again letting each coat dry completely in between coats).

{Minwax Water Based Polycrylic}

Instead of using the wood knobs that came with the dresser, I replaced them with ceramic knobs I found at Cost Plus World Market.



And this is how the dresser turned out…





And a quick comparison…



1 comment:

  1. That is a great transformation!!! Love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete